[Distutils] Packaging Distribute

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sun Oct 4 17:28:54 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Akira Kitada <akitada at macports.org> wrote:
> I'm planning to make a port for Distribute to make it more accessible to users.

That's very much appreciated :)

> For Distribute, there would be a few options to work around this:
>
> 1) Make 0.6 and 0.7 different package, like Distribute and Distribute2
> (Jinja like solution)
> 2) Make 0.7 fat package, which includes 0.6(setuptools compat)
> features as deprecated.
> *) YOUR IDEAS COME HERE.

I would just release the current 0.6 code as a port called distribute for now.

We don't know yet when the 0.7 version is actually going to arrive.
How exactly it looks like might very well change during the next
months. So let's figure out how to deal with 0.7 once it is actually
anywhere near.

In general I would assume each package management system to either
have support for multi-version support or have a standard way to deal
with new feature releases. It's pretty common for any code to give up
backwards compatibility to some degree over time. Distribute is no
different here.

Hanno