[Distutils] Packaging Distribute

Akira Kitada akitada at macports.org
Sun Oct 4 17:10:57 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm planning to make a port for Distribute to make it more accessible to users.
However, thinking about up coming 0.7 release, which will break the
compatibility
with setuptools, I started wondering it's not so easy to make a
package for distribute.

If I understand correctly, Distutils 0.7 is like Python 3.x in some ways.
It breaks compatibility and 0.7 and 0.6 both will continue to be
developed in parallel at least
a year or so. That sounds great but we can't have two versions of a
Python module at the same time.
Take a Jinja and Jinja2 for example. It has to have different names to make
both package available at the same systen at the same time.

For Distribute, there would be a few options to work around this:

1) Make 0.6 and 0.7 different package, like Distribute and Distribute2
(Jinja like solution)
2) Make 0.7 fat package, which includes 0.6(setuptools compat)
features as deprecated.
*) YOUR IDEAS COME HERE.

Is there anyone having any other solutions?
And what actually Distribute developers are thinking about this problem?

# I heard Gentoo provides Distribute as setuptools but I think it's rather rude

Thanks in advance.