[Distutils] One package for both python and jython

Fabrizio Pollastri f.pollastri at inrim.it
Thu Nov 19 16:40:58 CET 2009

Hello,
I am trying to upgrade a pure python package distribution based on
distutils in such a way that it will work with both python and jython.

Since my package depends on some part of python library when run by
python and on some other part of jython library when run by jython,
the source structure is the following.

     my_package_source_dir/
         common_files
         files_for_python
         files_for_jython

It will be a maximum, if distutils let me to reach the following goals.

1. python/jython setup.py sdist command has to build the distribution
tar my_package.tar.gz containing all files required by python and by jython.

2. python setup.py install command has to install in the python package tree

    my_package_source_dir/
         common_files
         files_for_python

3. jython setup.py install command has to install in the jython package tree

    my_package_source_dir/
         common_files
         files_for_jython

It is possible to implement this behavior with the setup function of
distutils? There are other ways (please, no package split)? Any
suggestion is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Fabrizio Pollastri