[Distutils] Fwd: installing lxml ? - todays user experience from python-list at python.org

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Wed Nov 11 22:30:26 CET 2009

On 2009-11-11, Maurits van Rees <m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
> David Lyon, on 2009-11-11:
>> $ sudo STATIC_DEPS=true /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
>> 2.6/bin/easy_install lxml
>> Password:
>> sudo: STATIC_DEPS=true: command not found
>
> On linux 'true' is a command:
> $ whatis true
> true (1)             - do nothing, successfully
>
> Apparently that is not available on Mac OS X.

The problem is that sudo expects a command. "STATIC_DEPS=true" is not a
command.

An "export STATIC_DEPS=true ought to be ok.

Building lxml is historically quite a pain on osx.  It keeps improving though.

The most sure-fire way of getting it to run is to use buildout in combination
with the staticlxml recipe at
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.recipe.staticlxml

I haven't seen a problem report about that in the last 6 months :-)

I agree with the sentiment of the original email that the initial impression
is, shall we say, sub-obtimal.  For me, this is one of the strong points of
buildout: once you buy into the general idea, it solves a whopping load of
problems for you.  Isolation, installation, setup.  And recipes like the
staticlxml one to solve those pesky weird corner cases!

reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Software developer at http://www.thehealthagency.com