[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jul 18 02:50:20 CEST 2009

Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> writes:

> Judging by the current vote outcome and the interest of the people
> actually doing the work on this right now, I think we'll call it
> Distribute

I will register again that the name “Distribute” is terrible for this
project: it will make searching for the project too difficult. The name
should quickly become the first hit when searching the web for “python
name_of_the_project”, and “Distribute” is not and should not be that.

When a person, ignorant of any particular means of distributing Python
code, goes searching for “how do I distribute Python stuff?” they will
likely be searching for terms including “python distribute”. This will
return lots of hits about things *that are not this project*, and that's
the way it should be.

The project name should be chosen so that it doesn't compete with the
general search for “python distribute” or “python packaging” or
anything similar. It should be unique enough to quickly differentiate
itself from the general topic search.

Any of “Red Barrel” or “distutils” or countless other names would be
better in this regard.

--
 \        “Intellectual property is to the 21st century what the slave |
  `\                              trade was to the 16th.” —David Mertz |