[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Jul 17 21:51:43 CEST 2009

Hi.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM, P.J. Eby<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> Eh?  I encourage the fork.  I only don't want it called setuptools.  Call it
> the People's Republic of Setuptools or something.  ;-)

Thank you!

Judging by the current vote outcome and the interest of the people
actually doing the work on this right now, I think we'll call it
Distribute - driven by the Fellowship of the Packaging. There needs to
be some silliness involved ;-)

> As I said, at least half the patches I get are good.  Knowing *which* half
> is the part that has tougher qualifications.  ;-)

Sure. Bug management that only consists of applying well tested and
thought out patches wouldn't be any fun. I made my choices of which
bugs and patches to accept, as seen from my progress report. Obviously
I left out all the hard ones for now.

> I don't intend to spend a lot of time on that for the fork, actually, at
> least not on an unsolicited basis.

I hope we will be able to get some more productive and constructive
discussions than the usual heated debates we see on this list. It's
good to know that you are in principe willing to share your expertise
with us.

Thanks,
Hanno