[Distutils] alternatives to zc.buildout?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Feb 13 14:58:35 CET 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:

> I don't know that many people have used this (or know about it), but I
> added a command to buildutils (http://knowledgetap.com/hg/buildutils/)
> to do "python setup.py bundle", which takes a package and all its
> dependencies and puts them together, with a script that adds all the
> dependencies.  It's like what zc.buildout does mechanically, but
> intended to be used more like py2exe.  I think it'd fit the model of
> managing Python commands and scripts pretty well.

That's interesting.  What we do is have our setup.py look in a
directory named "misc/dependencies/" and add any tarballs it finds
therein to the dependency_links:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/setup.py#L93

Then if we want to bundle some dependencies with our app, we just
include the tarball for that dependency in that directory:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/misc/dependencies

Regards,

Zooko