[Distutils] alternatives to zc.buildout?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Feb 13 05:35:46 CET 2008

Noah Gift wrote:
> In reference to this rather long discussion.  I would love to get an
> interview or case study on buildout in the scope of package management
> for Python for the book I am co-authoring on Python For *nix Systems
> Administration.  If there is an official ambassador, I would love to
> talk to that person, to make sure I do it justice.  That particular
> chapter will cover eggs, virtualenv, and buildout, so I pretty excited
> about it, although is the toughest chapter in the book so far.

I don't know that many people have used this (or know about it), but I
added a command to buildutils (http://knowledgetap.com/hg/buildutils/)
to do "python setup.py bundle", which takes a package and all its
dependencies and puts them together, with a script that adds all the
dependencies.  It's like what zc.buildout does mechanically, but
intended to be used more like py2exe.  I think it'd fit the model of
managing Python commands and scripts pretty well.

   Ian