[Distutils] Sandbox violation help

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Dec 6 21:15:15 CET 2007

A user is trying to install Enthought's ETS projects on a Gentoo system
and getting the following error message.   I'm not seeing it on my
systems, but then I'm not running Gentoo.   Can anyone give me a clue as
to what might be happening or how to go about determining what is
happening?  The error message has me really confused since
'temp/tmpTTJH2x/zZe82A' doesn't really give me much to go on as to what
is being attempted outside of the sandbox.  It doesn't help that one
line makes it clear something is going on with a tmp directory for
enthought.traits but then after that is the error about a tmp dir for
enthought.tvtk.  How'd we get back to enthought.tvtk in the middle of
the enthought.traits install?

-- Dave

PS: 'enthought.traits' is one of the install_requires dependencies of
'enthought.tvtk' so easy_install probably just chained to building and
installing it after enthought.tvtk, right?

PPS: I do believe other users have reported the same issues on other
systems but we've never quite figured out what the cause is.  IIRC,
telling them to manually download the source tarball and do a 'python
setup.py install' seems to work just fine.