[Distutils] What is the current status of distutils with SWIG and C++?

Jeremy Conlin jeremit0 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:55:18 CET 2007

Hello all,
I have been searching far and wide to find out how to get distutils to work
nicely with SWIG and C++.  I have an extension written in C++.  When I use
distutils via a setup.py script I run into problems because swig creates a
*_wrap.c file and I want a *_wrap.cxx file.  I have added the '-c++' option
to my swig_opts variable, but it doesn't fix that problem, but it does pass
the option to swig.  The swig command that is executed is

swigging Material.i to Material_wrap.c
swig -python -c++ -o Material_wrap.c Material.i

What can I do to make this work?  I have read in the archives about some
patches that were intended to remedy this situation.  Did these patches ever
make it into the final distribution?

Thanks,
Jeremy