[Distutils] SETUPTOOLS - Loading Eggs which do not have an egg_info

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Fri Dec 8 21:17:19 CET 2006

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> I have the following use-case:
>
> within an application, i like to load several plugins from an folder,
> without any user-interaction
>
> app/plugins/pluginone
> app/plugins/plugintwo
>
> the plugins (standard sources prepared for setuptools, coming from svn)
> are arranged like this:
>
> pluginone/one
> pluginone/setup.py #standard setup.py file
>
> Is there any documented way to load such a "raw egg" (egg sources
> without a generated egg-info) into the application, without the need to
> generate the egg-info?

As a summary to this thread:

I hope that a few other developers have a similar view and realize the
need o "raw eggs" or "lightweight egg-based plugins", thus we can
workout a solution. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

This is a starting point, nothing else:

http://dev.lazaridis.com/base/browser/infra/tracx/loader-draft-test.py?rev=171

The requirements as a whole:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Package