[Distutils] setuptools doc patch

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Nov 25 13:58:39 CET 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:02 PM 11/24/2005 +0000, John J Lee wrote:
[...]
>> -You should also inform your users of the need to run this command, if they
>> -are working from a Subversion checkout, rather than using EasyInstall to
>> -periodically fetch the latest version.
>> +If your users are working from a Subversion checkout rather than using
>> +EasyInstall, you should also inform them of the need to run this command
>> +to periodically fetch the latest version.
>
> Actually, what I meant to say was, if your users aren't using EasyInstall to
> fetch the latest version, but instead are working directly from a subversion
> checkout, they need to run "setup.py develop" after updates in order to
> update their egg-info, dependencies, etc.

Yes, that's what I'd understood by it...

> So, I'm changing this sentence to:
>
> "Be sure to also remind any of your users who check out your project
> from Subversion that they need to run ``setup.py develop`` after every update
> in order to keep their checkout completely in sync."

...hmm, this still reads ambiguously to me (your fault for writing such
flexible software ;-)  An

easy_install myproject==dev

may be an SVN checkout too, but I assume there's no need to run setup.py
develop (yes, one doesn't even have a setup.py in that case, but it's
still confusing to me).  How about:

"Be sure to also remind any of your users who checked out your project
from Subversion and ran ``setup.py develop`` that they need to run
``setup.py develop`` after every update in order to keep their checkout
completely in sync."

John