[Distutils] setuptools doc patch

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 25 07:54:49 CET 2005

At 11:02 PM 11/24/2005 +0000, John J Lee wrote:
>The comma removed by the patch below implies that users working from a
>Subversion checkout should not use EasyInstall to periodically fetch the
>latest version.  That's not what you intended to say, I assume?
>
>http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
>
>  You should also inform your users of the need to run this command, if they
>-are working from a Subversion checkout, rather than using EasyInstall to
>+are working from a Subversion checkout rather than using EasyInstall to
>  periodically fetch the latest version.
>
>Hmm, probably much better than the patch above:
>
>-You should also inform your users of the need to run this command, if they
>-are working from a Subversion checkout, rather than using EasyInstall to
>-periodically fetch the latest version.
>+If your users are working from a Subversion checkout rather than using
>+EasyInstall, you should also inform them of the need to run this command
>+to periodically fetch the latest version.

Actually, what I meant to say was, if your users aren't using EasyInstall
to fetch the latest version, but instead are working directly from a
subversion checkout, they need to run "setup.py develop" after updates in
order to update their egg-info, dependencies, etc.

So, I'm changing this sentence to:

"Be sure to also remind any of your users who check out your project
from Subversion that they need to run ``setup.py develop`` after every update
in order to keep their checkout completely in sync."

Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity!