[Distutils] Distutils has no module named util, or is it a package problem?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Nov 10 23:23:55 CET 2005

Ben Bangert wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> I wasn't sure, so I did it to be safe.  It shouldn't effect anything.

>>> easy_install runs all setup scripts in a sandbox, since it has no
>>> way of knowing whether a given script is "safe" until it actually
>>> runs it in the sandbox.  Easier to ask forgiveness than  permission,
>>> you might say.  :)
>>

>> But apparently that import doesn't work when in the sandbox.  Why
>> test it when setup() says explicitly that it isn't safe?
>

> Even if it doesn't 'test' it, it would still need a sandbox to stick
> the svn checkout in while it builds and installs it, no? (Not that I
> have any clue how setuptools works, but this is just a guess)

The sandbox in this case is when setuptools runs setup.py with fake file
routines, to see if the setup.py file writes things to weird locations.
  Now that I think about it, this isn't for zip-safe testing, but to
test if setuptools can properly wrap this.

I can understand why to do this when running a distutils setup.py file,
but could this be surpressed for a setup.py file which imports from
setuptools?  I think it should be presumed that it is safe in that case.