[Distutils] Were there any changes to bdist_wininst for Python 2.4?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Mon Jul 19 11:26:23 CEST 2004

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> writes:

> I'm trying to build a bdist_wininst for PyOpenGL with Python 2.4, but
> when I attempt to run the generated installer I get an error message
> on clicking the last "Next" (ready-to-install):
>
> Running the pre-installation script failed
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     V4³
>       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> (Those characters being: '    V4\x12\xb3\x02' ).
>
> The same setup is working fine with Python 2.3, so I'm assuming it's a
> change or incompatibility in bdist_wininst itself.  I don't have a
> custom pre-installation script, btw.

The layout of the data that bdist_wininst collects has changed.
Unfortunately, the magic number '0x1234567A' hasn't changed, although it
should have been.  If it were changed, you would have seen a MessageBox
'setup program invalid or damaged'.  See the create_exe() method in
bdist_wininst.py.

I will repair this in CVS.

The problem is that you subclass bdist_wininst in the PyOpenGL setup
script, and have to make these changes yourself, for Python 2.4.
If it helps you, I can factor out a get_installer_filename() method in
the 2.4 version.

Thomas