[Distutils] Were there any changes to bdist_wininst for Python 2.4?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sun Jul 18 09:15:40 CEST 2004

I'm trying to build a bdist_wininst for PyOpenGL with Python 2.4, but
when I attempt to run the generated installer I get an error message on
clicking the last "Next" (ready-to-install):

Running the pre-installation script failed
  File "<string>", line 1
    V4³
      ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

(Those characters being: '    V4\x12\xb3\x02' ).

The same setup is working fine with Python 2.3, so I'm assuming it's a
change or incompatibility in bdist_wininst itself.  I don't have a
custom pre-installation script, btw.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Or am I looking at a new bug?
Mike