[Distutils] problem with installing NumPy under WinNT

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:29:56 -0400

Berthold Hoellmann <hoel@germanlloyd.org>:
> I tried to install NumPy under NT using setup_numpy.py from distutils
> 0.8. Compiling failed because Python.h could not be found. I tracked it
> down to the following:
>
> Python 1.5.2 (#0, Apr 13 1999, 10:51:12) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> '""'
> 'G:\\bin\\Python'
> '""'

There is a bug in Distutils 0.8 that clobbers (can clobber?)
sysconfig's PREFIX and EXEC_PREFIX globals -- apparently they are
defined in the config.h installed with Python on Windows, and reading
that config.h overwrites those two module globals.

Anyways, it's fixed in the current CVS version.  I'll put out a code
snapshot later tonight, and probably release 0.8.1 tomorrow to get the
bugs fixed in a real release.  Please try the CVS and/or snapshot and
make sure it really is fixed.

Thanks --

        Greg
--