[DB-SIG] Re: [Webware-discuss] [ANN] SQLObject 0.1

hazmat hazmat@objectrealms.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:08:58 -0700

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 09:26 pm, Ian Bicking wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 05:20, hazmat wrote:
> > - http://cvs.zope.org/Products/AdaptableStorage
> >
> > is a r2o mapping using the zodb as an abstraction layer, using a plugin
> > storage that implements the mapping. its an experimental prototype at
> > this point. shane hathaway also did a presentation on this at oscon,
> > which is available at the oscon website.
>
> Mmm... I must admit, this does sound enticing:
>
>     So far, this product has been used to literally "mount" both a
>     Postgresql database and a filesystem directory into Zope, without
>     using any subclasses of Zope classes.  This is very different from
>     most other products that provide alternative storage for Zope
>     objects, including LocalFS, ZPatterns, DBObjects/SmartObjects, and
>     CMF.  These all require special classes to alter persistence
>     details, but persisting to different kinds of databases should not
>     require different classes.
>
> I makes me rethink schema parsing... though of course "mounting" only
> means something in the Zope context, and I'm not sure what the Right
> automatically-created interface would be outside of that.

if this sort of thing interests you i highly recommend checking out the
persistence-sig (and its archives) @ python.org, its somewhat dormant now.
but one of the goals is to define a persistence interface, that different
persistence implementations can be plugged into... well more or less ;-)

the mounting syntax could be thought of as zope specific i guess, although it
seems generic enough to me, in a general sense it means mounting a persistent
object model onto a user's existing one, no different than say importing a
module to mount that module into your runtime object model. off course maybe
i've been playing with zope for too long.

/me realizes he is way off topic

cheers,

-haz