[DB-SIG] Re: [Webware-discuss] [ANN] SQLObject 0.1

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
22 Oct 2002 23:26:06 -0500

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 05:20, hazmat wrote:
> - http://cvs.zope.org/Products/AdaptableStorage
>
> is a r2o mapping using the zodb as an abstraction layer, using a plugin
> storage that implements the mapping. its an experimental prototype at this
> point. shane hathaway also did a presentation on this at oscon, which is
> available at the oscon website.

Mmm... I must admit, this does sound enticing:

    So far, this product has been used to literally "mount" both a
    Postgresql database and a filesystem directory into Zope, without
    using any subclasses of Zope classes.  This is very different from
    most other products that provide alternative storage for Zope
    objects, including LocalFS, ZPatterns, DBObjects/SmartObjects, and
    CMF.  These all require special classes to alter persistence
    details, but persisting to different kinds of databases should not
    require different classes.

I makes me rethink schema parsing... though of course "mounting" only
means something in the Zope context, and I'm not sure what the Right
automatically-created interface would be outside of that.

  Ian