[DB-SIG] DCOracle + DCOracle2

Andy Todd andy47@halfcooked.com
Wed, 01 May 2002 11:26:43 +1000

Lane, George wrote:
> We have DCOracle installed on a Solaris machine running Oracle 8.1.6.
> Has anyone tried installing DCOracle2 in addition to DCOracle?  Any
> problems or issues with coexistence?
>
>  From an application standpoint, the biggest changes seem to be
> returning list of lists using fetchxxx(rather than a list of tuples),
> and the executemany statement discussed in the docs (which we hadn't
> been using).
>
> The longer process is redoing the applications which currently rely on
> DCOracle...
>
> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

George,

Architecturally (is that a real word?) the major differences are that
DCOracle uses OCI 7 calls (i.e. native to Oracle7) and DCOracle2 uses
OCI 8 calls (i.e. native to Oracle8, 8i and 9i) and that DCOracle2
adheres to the DB-API 2.0 specification.

I don't believe there is a problem having both installed but I would
recommend that you reduce your reliance on DCOracle for a couple of
reasons.

Firstly Oracle are currently gently deprecating any use of Oracle 7
specific features (like OCI 7 calls) and this will become less and less
gentle in the near future. Specifically don't expect later versions of
Oracle9i to play nice with this code.

Secondly, DCOracle2 is DB-API 2.0 compliant which is much easier to work
with than the preceding version. Supporting this driver will mean that
you will have to change some of your Python code, but I believe that
change will be for the better.

Regards,
Andy
 From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com