[Cython] Cython 0.29 – or 29.0 ?

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at oracle.com
Thu Aug 16 21:15:45 EDT 2018

1.0 runs the risk of hitting "never install a 1.0 release" habits.

Jumping to 29.0 would not, imnsho, be such an issue because people
are used to the rapid cadence of Firefox, Thunderbird and Chrome
releases. The flip side of 29.0 would be the question "when are you
announcing your LTS version?"

James

On 08/16/18 08:48 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> If we're going to ditch the 0.x, I'd go for 1.0 as well. I'm a huge fan of
> semantic versioning.
>
> The primary reasons we kept the 0.x scheme were that
>
> * We wanted full compatibility with CPython (we're nearly there, or at
> least it's safe to say the differences are on par with those between
> different versions and implementations of Python), and
> * We wanted the flexibility to possibly jettison archaic features of the
> language or otherwise clean things up.
>
> It's worth revisiting to see if either of these are still relevant (*and*
> likely to be worked on in the near future).
>

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 10:40 PM, Jeroen Demeyer <J.Demeyer at ugent.be
> <mailto:J.Demeyer at ugent.be>> wrote:
>
>     I vote for 1.0
>
>     Version 29.0 sounds too much like marketing.

Oracle
Systems / Solaris / Core
Solaris WOS Tech Lead
https://www.jmcpdotcom.com/blog