[Cython] Cython 0.29 – or 29.0 ?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:48:19 EDT 2018

If we're going to ditch the 0.x, I'd go for 1.0 as well. I'm a huge fan of
semantic versioning.

The primary reasons we kept the 0.x scheme were that

* We wanted full compatibility with CPython (we're nearly there, or at
least it's safe to say the differences are on par with those between
different versions and implementations of Python), and
* We wanted the flexibility to possibly jettison archaic features of the
language or otherwise clean things up.

It's worth revisiting to see if either of these are still relevant (*and*
likely to be worked on in the near future).