[Cython] some pull requests for 0.16?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:44:11 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Stefan Behnel, 20.03.2012 18:51:
>> mark florisson, 20.03.2012 17:40:
>>> As for the two pull requests, both are quite large, but the dict
>>> iteration rewrite is more like an enhancement whereas the 'yield from'
>>> is really a new (somewhat big) feature. I would personally prefer to
>>> merge only enhancements and bug fixes, but not new features.
>>
>> Funny. I would have proposed the opposite, because I consider the "yield
>> from" implementation (as a new language feature) safer than the dict
>> iteration (which impacts existing code). As I said, I wouldn't mind
>> postponing both to 0.16.1, but I think it would be better to get them out
>> and have people use them, so that we can also fix the bugs earlier.
>
> Coming back to this, I think the main question is: what does our versioning
> scheme mean? Personally, I would expect a 0.16 release to come with new
> features compared to 0.15.x, and a 0.16.1 release to fix the bugs that
> these features (and other changes) have introduced, without changing too
> much of what makes up the 0.16 release series.

Yes, this is loosely what our versioning scheme means.

> I know that we've rarely followed that distinction (we sometimes didn't
> even have point releases), so it doesn't really matter what we add in
> 0.16.1, I guess. I just thought I'd bring up the question what would make a
> 0.17 release different from a 0.16.1 release. So far, it appears to have
> been more of an issue of how much time has passed since the last release,
> which usually goes hand in hand with a substantial set of changes.

If we have something big, then the next release will be 0.17,
otherwise it'll be 0.16.1. There is a correlation with time, but
that's not the deciding factor. (If we released right after memory
views went in last fall, despite little time passing from 0.15.1, that
would have still merited 0.16.)

The 1.0 goal is still full Python compatibility, as decided at the
workshop. The work on CyFunctions has gotten us much closer (in fact
the list at http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/query?milestone=1.0
seems very out of date.)

- Robert