[Cython] some pull requests for 0.16?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Mar 22 19:10:10 CET 2012

Stefan Behnel, 20.03.2012 18:51:
> mark florisson, 20.03.2012 17:40:
>> As for the two pull requests, both are quite large, but the dict
>> iteration rewrite is more like an enhancement whereas the 'yield from'
>> is really a new (somewhat big) feature. I would personally prefer to
>> merge only enhancements and bug fixes, but not new features.
>
> Funny. I would have proposed the opposite, because I consider the "yield
> from" implementation (as a new language feature) safer than the dict
> iteration (which impacts existing code). As I said, I wouldn't mind
> postponing both to 0.16.1, but I think it would be better to get them out
> and have people use them, so that we can also fix the bugs earlier.

Coming back to this, I think the main question is: what does our versioning
scheme mean? Personally, I would expect a 0.16 release to come with new
features compared to 0.15.x, and a 0.16.1 release to fix the bugs that
these features (and other changes) have introduced, without changing too
much of what makes up the 0.16 release series.

I know that we've rarely followed that distinction (we sometimes didn't
even have point releases), so it doesn't really matter what we add in
0.16.1, I guess. I just thought I'd bring up the question what would make a
0.17 release different from a 0.16.1 release. So far, it appears to have
been more of an issue of how much time has passed since the last release,
which usually goes hand in hand with a substantial set of changes.