[Cython] funding (Re: sage.math problems?)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Mar 22 20:49:17 CET 2012

John Hunter, 22.03.2012 20:39:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> Well, I seem to remember from a talk that NumFOCUS will have a full-time
>>> (or part-time?) position to deal with such administration. And they'll be
>>> set up as a non-profit (so tax-exempt for US-based donations). So I think
>>> that's a better route than PayPal.
>>
>> Sounds like it. Is their tax-exempt status restricted to the US? That would
>> be unfortunate for many donators.
>
> NUMFOCUS is in the process of trying to get 501c status, but does not yet
> have it.  This will take some time.  This means individual donations will
> not be tax exempt in the US until we have that status.  If businesses are
> donating, they can deduct it as a business expense, but individuals are out
> of luck for now.

Ok, just for clarification: the foundation is US based and not currently
targeting any other countries, right?

Personally, I think most serious donations would be from companies anyway,
which would then not be restricted to the US. And for individuals, we could
still put up a PayPal button (if we have anything to let them pay for).

>>> Should we solicit donations on our webpage with a link to NumFOCUS? (I
>>> can ask NumFOCUS whether they're cool with that.)
>>
>> Interesting. If they have the administration set up (BTW, is that paid or
>> do they want something for that?), they should be able to handle project
>> specific money as well.
>
> NUMFOCUS does have a full time administrator, and will be happy to process
> and distribute targeted donations for Cython.  This is at a "no cost to
> you" basis, ie the foundation will not take overhead but will cover these
> costs out of NUMFOCUS donations.  At least that is my understanding, but I
> can confirm at the next director's meeting.

Cool. Then I'm all for taking that route.