[Cython] funding (Re: sage.math problems?)

John Hunter jdh2358 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:39:57 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> > Well, I seem to remember from a talk that NumFOCUS will have a full-time
> > (or part-time?) position to deal with such administration. And they'll be
> > set up as a non-profit (so tax-exempt for US-based donations). So I think
> > that's a better route than PayPal.
>
> Sounds like it. Is their tax-exempt status restricted to the US? That would
> be unfortunate for many donators.

NUMFOCUS is in the process of trying to get 501c status, but does not yet
have it.  This will take some time.  This means individual donations will
not be tax exempt in the US until we have that status.  If businesses are
donating, they can deduct it as a business expense, but individuals are out
of luck for now.

> > Should we solicit donations on our webpage with a link to NumFOCUS? (I
> can
> > ask NumFOCUS whether they're cool with that.)
>
> Interesting. If they have the administration set up (BTW, is that paid or
> do they want something for that?), they should be able to handle project
> specific money as well.

NUMFOCUS does have a full time administrator, and will be happy to process
and distribute targeted donations for Cython.  This is at a "no cost to
you" basis, ie the foundation will not take overhead but will cover these
costs out of NUMFOCUS donations.  At least that is my understanding, but I
can confirm at the next director's meeting.

JDH