[Cython] Julialang

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Apr 21 08:20:00 CEST 2012

Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 21.04.2012 07:27:
> Just heard about the Julia language and wanted to make sure it's on
> everybody's radar:
>
> http://julialang.org
>
> It's the first really decent language designed for scientists. Seems
> impressive to me, there's a few Cython features:
>
>  - Dynamic typing with optional static types
>  - Call C directly
>
> And then comes:
>
>  - JIT
>  - Templates
>  - "Green" threading/coroutiens
>  - Multiple dispatch (yay!)
>  - Lisp-like macros and other metaprogramming facilities
>  - Designed for parallelism and distributed computation

They say that it comes as a shared library, so it might work to wrap it in
Cython. However, it's not clear to me how you would call into Julia code
from C code. They only emphasise the other direction, as seems to be usual
for language implementations that try to advertise the beauties of their
JIT compiler and their cool "we can call C" features. So it's hard to tell
how much work it would be or how efficient it could become to call a
wrapped Julia function efficiently based on a CEP1000 signature ID. At
least the signature of the Julia function can easily be analysed, it seams.
That's pretty cool already.