[C++-sig] Bugs in the Boost.Python tutorial example

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Mon Nov 17 23:01:04 CET 2014

On 17/11/14 04:50 PM, Jim Bosch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Michael Rolle <m at rolle.name
> <mailto:m at rolle.name>> wrote:
>

>     Are you the one responsible for maintaining / bug fixing for
>     Boost.Python?  Or would I assume someone else will see my post and
>     act on it?  Actually, what I want to know is how I report bugs to
>     whomever will fix them.
>

> To my knowledge, the answer to this question is actually a rather
> unhappy one - I'm not sure anyone is currently maintaining
> Boost.Python.  I think there may still be general Boost devs who will
> fix critical bugs, especially if the bug report is accompanied by a
> patch, but there are a lot of stale tickets in the issue tracker
> (https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost), and I don't know of anyone who
> really feels any strong ownership of the library at this stage.  I've
> thought about stepping up to do some of it myself, but given that my
> day job now involves working with Swig (even though I prefer
> Boost.Python), it's just not something I can do.
>
> I'd love to be corrected by anyone on this list who can say otherwise,
> of course.

Unfortunately, I can't. In addition to that, it seems the problems
reported in this thread are rather about the build system, which at
least some of those with expertise in Boost.Python aren't very familiar
with, in particular if it affects platforms they don't use themselves.

(Specifically: I'd be happy to help fix issues with the Boost.Python
code itself, but I don't feel competent with bjam / Boost.Build, and my
knowledge of MSVC is almost non-existent, not to speak of the fact that
I have no computer near me running Windows, so I couldn't even test any
Windows-specific patches.)

    Stefan