[C++-sig] GSoC and py3k support for Boost.Python

troy d. straszheim troy at resophonic.com
Wed Mar 11 19:30:12 CET 2009

Haoyu Bai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have posted this to Boost development mailling list before and many
> people suggested me to repost here, so I did.
>
> I'm a student who has finished SWIG's Python 3.0 support in GSoC 2008.
> I'd like to contribute my knowledge of Python 3 migration to
> Boost.Python, by implementing Python 3 support for it as a Google
> Summer of Code 2009 project. Finally the users of Boost.Python would
> get py3k support smoothly.
>
> Also, you may suggest other useful features that Boost.Python
> currently lack, for example thread safety and PyFinalize support. I
> would like to take it as part of this project if possible.
>
> Any comment is welcome.

Everybody wins here.  Clearly this needs to get done, the sooner the
better, a GSoC project sounds like a great way to get it done, and you
sound like a great candidate for the job.

I'd set the goal to be py3k support for the current boost::python
feature set, keeping the other feature requests in mind.   Maybe you'll
get lucky and get some of these in along the way.  If you have time left
over, you can tackle them directly.  Just my two cents.

> And it would be great if you are willing to
> mentor this project.

1.  What are the responsibilities of the mentor(s)?

2.  Do you need an individual mentor?  Would a small group do?  Would
the general support of the mailing list work?

-t