[C++-sig] Boost.Python and Threads

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Mon Oct 16 10:50:59 CEST 2006

On 15 Oct 2006 at 21:54, Drumheller, Michael wrote:

> I am interested in whatever workarounds/patches might exist for
> releasing/acquiring
> the GIL from Boost.Python-based C++ extensions.  The FAQ
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/v2/faq.html#threadsupport
> says this is basically not supported, but mentions a patch on C++-sig.
> Is the following
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2003-July/004791.html
> the patch being referred to?
>
> It would be great if I could find out whether the author of that patch
> (Vladimir
> Vukicevic), or anyone else, is still using it and still believes that it
> works, or, if
> not, are there any other similar patches out there that one should try?

I believe that my GIL patch to BPL is the standard one off which most
people base their own for the last few years. You can find it inside
BoostPatches.zip inside the TnFOX SVN (at
http://www.nedprod.com/TnFOX/). You'll need to tailor it around your
own threading system, but it does have all the changes in the right
places.

Cheers,
Niall