[C++-sig] Regarding thread compatibility of boost python

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Wed Mar 8 13:19:00 CET 2006

On 8 Mar 2006 at 1:29, Andrew Athan wrote:

> Despite the constraints I have described above, which seem (unless
> someone corrects me) to relax the thread safety requirements, I am
> looking into using the boost python patches in the Tn FOX library.  Can
> anyone characterize these?  There is not much included in the sources by
> way of documentation.  I have not yet looked into the actual Tn FOX
> documentation package.

I would pull BoostPatches.zip from the Python directory inside TnFOX
from SVN. I'd then diff the files to see what I did to patch things.

Some of the patching is merging in TnFOX features eg; exception
handling. But much of it is the threading stuff. Of course, TnFOX has
its own threading system so if you don't want to use TnFOX, you'll
need to replace all that with your own.

I should add that TnFOX can be built as a non-GUI library and thus
just as a reasonably small portability library. You may find it
easier to simply link against TnFOX generated via this method. I
should add that the python bindings currently don't respect the non-
GUI build just yet (it's coming). The TnFOX python bindings include a
full copy of Boost.Python.

Cheers,
Niall