[C++-sig] Re: new idea for pyste

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at actimize.com
Tue Aug 10 06:47:46 CEST 2004

From: Nicodemus
> I think the idea is nice, but I would like to see what's the
> improvement
> over something like this:
> Regards,
> Nicodemus.

The main differences are:
  Pyste is library that helps user to export his classes
  Pyste files is regular python files, and not "... simple interface file ..."
  It is much easier to manage big projects:
    1. No need in "file-list" file
    2. better control over generation:
       ( example: I want to generate all classes from specific namespace, to an other file,
       right now Pyste support only generation from header file and then excluding
       all classes that I don't want to be exported. I think it could be much easier to write
       AllFromNamespace( 'repository', [ 'a.h', 'b.h', 'c.h' ] )
      ( new functionality -> new Pyste options -> complicated command line -> additional script to run Pyste )

>     import os
>     import sys
>     from Pyste import pyste
>
>     # manipulate argv as needed
>     sys.argv.append(...)
>
>     # add/find include directories at your leisure
>     sys.argv.append('-I')
>     sys.argv.append('my dir')
>
>     pyste.main()

You are right: right now the difference between what I propose and what we have is small,
but it completely  change the future: instead of "code generator" + "interface files" + "options" we will have
"code generation framework" + "scripts written in python" only.

Roman