[C++-sig] Re: New indexing suite available on indexing_v2 branch

Raoul Gough RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 01:26:50 CEST 2003

"Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> AFAIK, this code has only been testing on MinGW g++ 3.3.1 so please
>> report any results on other platforms ASAP.
>
> The new files (slice.cpp and python_iterator.cpp) compile fine with
> EDG 245 and EDG 300. That's a very good sign because these front
> ends are very strict.  However, compilation of testlinear.cpp and
> testnonlinear.cpp fails with a long list of errors. To clear up some
> of them I made a couple of trivial changes to IntWrapper.hpp
> (already in CVS).
> The remaining errors from compiling testlinear.cpp with the Tru64
> cxx compiler (EDG 245 front end) are here:
>
> http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/tmp/testlinear_errors_tru64_cxx

Wow! Thanks very much for helping out so quickly. Very interesting
results, some of them look like real errors in the code that g++
didn't pick up, others could be because g++ already implements some
proposed language changes (e.g. nested classes are implicitly
friends). I won't get to look at this in depth until the morning (UK
time).

Looking at the changes to IntWrapper.hpp... I guess operator!= might
well be needed somewhere, depending on the standard library
implementation, but what does including <stdio.h> fix?

> I'd be happy to give you access to our machines if you think this
> could be useful for fixing the portability problems. We have all the
> platforms advertised at http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/ plus Intel
> C++ 7.1 under Linux (EDG 300).

That's a great offer - I'm sure it would save a lot of time. Could
you send me some details via email?

> BTW: Don't feel bad about the many errors. It is completely normal
> when you try a new platform for the first time, and I've seen
> worse. Over the last couple of years I've spent months worth of my
> time making sure Boost.Python works on so many platforms. But I am
> confident it will not take that long this time.

I more or less expected there to be compatibility issues, given the
amount of template code in there, and my lack of experience with this
on other platforms. The list of errors from tru64 is already a big
help, but if you can provide access to the machines, or even just try
out some future changes, I'm sure we can sort these out fairly
quickly. It's getting kind of late here though, so I'll take another
look in the morning.

--
Raoul Gough.
(setq dabbrev-case-fold-search nil)