[C++-sig] boost.python on OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Nov 3 04:34:34 CET 2003

On Nov 2, 2003, at 9:23 PM, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:

> --- Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>> -F will alter the search path for frameworks, just like -L for
>> libraries
>> The normal search path is something like:
>> 	~/Library/Frameworks
>> 	/Library/Frameworks
>> 	/Network/Library/Frameworks
>> 	/System/Library/Frameworks
>>
>> On Panther, you want it to find Python.framework in
>> /System/Library/Frameworks, so don't install another Python anywhere
>> else if you're on Panther.
>
> Oh, if it's that then maybe this is useful:
>
> I noticed that the Python installation involves commands like:
>
> gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
> build/temp.darwin-6.8-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_TEmodule.o -L/usr/local/lib
> -o
> build/lib.darwin-6.8-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_TE.so -framework Carbon
>
> Note the "-Wl,-F"

-Wl,-F. means "tell the linker to look for frameworks in the current
directory first" .. that's because the Python.framework isn't installed
yet, so it's not on the normal search path.

By the way, the 2.2 version is neither framework nor dylib.  The Python
symbols are in the interpreter executable, so it's pretty worthless,
especially considering that 2.2.0 had a broken bundle loader on OS X
(can only load one somemodule.so.. i.e. if site-packages/somemodule.so
loads first, then site-packages/somepackage/somemodule.so will not
raise an exception but will be just a copy of
site-packages/somemodule.so .. or vice versa, depends on which comes
first), among other bugs.

-bob