AW: [C++-sig] New implementation for opaque_pointer_converter

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Mar 10 14:20:23 CET 2003

Gottfried.Ganssauge at HAUFE.DE writes:

> Hi Dave,
>
> although I see your point regarding cross module compatibility i
> must confess that I don't really grasp all implications of the
> change you propose.

Me neither, which is why I haven't tried to do it yet.

> On the other hand I figure that my opaque_pointer_converter might be useful
> for a lot of applications using only a single module (such as mine), so I
> just made the smaller change of returning None for a NULL-pointer.

> I changed your assertion accordingly such that it now asserts
> (getnull() is None).  Here is the changed patch which I generated
> against the RC_1_30_0-Branch.

If you update the docs to describe how to use your system in a
cross-module context I will be happy to apply your patch to the
release candidate.  (Basically, any module that has to convert the
opaque pointer to or from python must also have the specialization at
the top).

If you could just send me the files you changed since the original
patch that would help me; I haven't figured out how to conveniently
apply patches which span a directory tree.

www.boost-consulting.com