[C++-sig] Re: Problem building boost.python for Cygwin

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Feb 24 18:07:59 CET 2003

Marc Paterno <paterno at fnal.gov> writes:

> Hi David et al.,
>
> Success!
>
> Thanks for dealing with this problem promptly. I now have
> a purely-Cygwin build of boost.python, which has passed a
> couple of (simple) usage tests.
>
> David, the new instructions (from the head of CVS as of
> Saturday) were much clearer. I think there is one typo
> in the instructions. In the table in the section "Configuration",
> the environment variable CYGWIN_PYTHON_ROOT appears in
> the VARIABLE NAME column twice. I suspect the first should
> be CYGWIN_PYTHON_INCLUDES instead; at least things worked when
> I guessed this was the intended name.

Thanks for noticing that!  Actually, the first one is correct and the
second one is just old flotsam I should've deleted.  Defining
CYGWIN_PYTHON_INCLUDES doesn't do anything at all.  Please check to be
sure that your CYGWIN_PYTHON_ROOT points to a directory containing
include/python$(PYTHON_VERSION)/python.h, and report back to me.

> Finally, I *think* I understand better at least one source of
> confusion between us. In my configuration, I can not use
> g++ from a Windows command prompt. As soon as the compiler
> tries to open a file, it fails with a "can't find cygwin1.dll"
> dialog box. I suspect that David's PATH, under Windows, includes
> a directory that contains the Cygwin DLL, and perhaps it even
> contains the Cygwin '/bin' directory.

Ah, yes it does.  I keep those things in my path because they're just
too useful to live without ;-)

> However, following the most recent instructions, I was able to
> build everything from a Cygwin bash shell, using the Cygwin build
> of bjam, and Cygwin's distribution of Python.

That was something I did explicitly, because it seemed like it should
be possible for people like you ;-)

> Thanks again, David, for the prompt support.

You're most welcome.

-Dave

www.boost-consulting.com