[C++-sig] Re: Problem building boost.python for Cygwin

Marc Paterno paterno at fnal.gov
Mon Feb 24 16:55:52 CET 2003

Hi David et al.,

Success!

Thanks for dealing with this problem promptly. I now have
a purely-Cygwin build of boost.python, which has passed a
couple of (simple) usage tests.

David, the new instructions (from the head of CVS as of
Saturday) were much clearer. I think there is one typo
in the instructions. In the table in the section "Configuration",
the environment variable CYGWIN_PYTHON_ROOT appears in
the VARIABLE NAME column twice. I suspect the first should
be CYGWIN_PYTHON_INCLUDES instead; at least things worked when
I guessed this was the intended name.

Finally, I *think* I understand better at least one source of
confusion between us. In my configuration, I can not use
g++ from a Windows command prompt. As soon as the compiler
tries to open a file, it fails with a "can't find cygwin1.dll"
dialog box. I suspect that David's PATH, under Windows, includes
a directory that contains the Cygwin DLL, and perhaps it even
contains the Cygwin '/bin' directory.

However, following the most recent instructions, I was able to
build everything from a Cygwin bash shell, using the Cygwin build
of bjam, and Cygwin's distribution of Python.

Thanks again, David, for the prompt support.

best regards,
Marc