[C++-sig] Problem building boost.python for Cygwin

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Feb 20 18:39:24 CET 2003

Marc Paterno <paterno at fnal.gov> writes:

> Here are what I understand are the relevant environment variable
> settings I have established:
>    PYTHON_ROOT=/usr/lib/python2.2
>    PYTHON_INCLUDES=/usr/include/python2.2
>    PYTHON_LIB_PATH=/usr/lib/python2.2/config
>    PYTHON_STDLIB_PATH=/usr/lib/python2.2
>    PYTHON_VERSION=2.2
>
> I am least sure about PYTHON_ROOT and PYTHON_LIB_PATH:
>   PYTHON_ROOT is defined such that ${PYTHON_ROOT}/bin/python.exe is
>      the full path to the Python executable;
>   PYTHON_LIB_PATH is defined such that ${PYTHON_LIB_PATH}/libpython2.2.dll.a
>      is the full path to the Python library supplied as a Cygwin 'package'.
>
> I suspect I have one (or more) of these defined wrongly, but haven't been
> able to find the right setting to make things go.

Marc,

Did you look at:
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html#configuration?  It
looks like you're missing the Cygwin-related definitions.

Also, are you using a Cygwin-built bjam?  If so, I have not tested
that configuration, and I can't vouch for it.  The one I know works is
to use a regular NT build of bjam and use the "gcc" toolset.

HTH,
www.boost-consulting.com