[C++-sig] Boost.Python v2: beginning of generalized object support

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Mon Jun 17 12:25:35 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Niki Spahiev" <niki at vintech.bg>

> > What is that?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

AFAICT from reading that you don't need to use "_(" but can use "gettext("
instead, and AFAICT no automated tools are recognizing "_("...

> >>_("...") is  default marker for gettext. Can boost.python use something
> >
> > other?
> >
> > I'm not sure. What problems could this cause?
>
> All attribute names will go to translatable strings (for UI).
>
> Why not:
>
> x.a("foo") = 1
> y = x.a("foo")
>
> or any other letter?

Why don't you use a different macro? Or better yet, enter the modern world
and use an inline function instead? ;-)

If we are really forced to switch to letters we should just use

    x.attr("foo")

We could provide parallel interfaces for people using gettext. Note also
that people can use:

    getattr(x,"foo")
    setattr(x,"bar", 2)

-Dave