[C++-sig] Linux

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Thu Jun 13 18:01:48 CEST 2002

From: "Scott A. Smith" <ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu>

> Hello,
>
> Can someone please explain what Jam looks for in deciding whether to
build
> Boost.Python or not?

> I cannot find documented. I have found libs/python/build/__init__.py
> that puts out this stuff, and libs/python/build/Jamfile that has
> <find-python-install> which apparently causes the failure.
> I guess this is looking for some subdirectory named test stemming from
> PYTHON_STDLIB_PATH?

Yes. You don't have it?

> My Red Hat 7.3 install (very recently done, I would call it a typical
> install)  has no such directory.

That's very odd. No /usr/lib/python2.2/test ?

> Do I need this test directory, do I need its contents?

No, you don't need its contents. It's just being used as a hack to help us
detect the Python installation. You could just clear the contents of
libs/python/build/__init__.py. I will have to revise the way this test
works for Boost 1.29.0

BTW, this test is not done for Boost.Build v2; if you're seeing it with an
attempted v2 build, you're building from the wrong place.

-Dave