[core-workflow] GitHub migration update for 2016-12-19

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 22:12:52 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 02:49:03 +0000
> Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> The biggest update is I have updated the code for hg.python.org/lookup.
>> Once the hg repo is read-only I will generate a final JSON file containing
>> every commit and then have the new code and data uploaded. If you want to
>> look at the modified code and double-check my work then please look at
>> https://gist.github.com/brettcannon/f8d97c92b0df264cd4db008ffd32daf9.
>
> I thought you were going to redirect hg changeset references to github,
> so that we don't have to maintain hg.p.o indefinitely.

The Roundup that we are using on b.p.o[0] is a clone of upstream
Roundup[1] with our additional changes[2] in a separate branch.

There are 4 things that could happen to this repo:
  1. keep hg.p.o alive and nothing changes;
  2. move it somewhere else (e.g. BitBucket -- does GitHub support HG repos?);
  3. convert it to Git and move it to GitHub with the others;
  4. get rid of our branch and use a regular Roundup;

As long as we keep it on HG (whether on hg.p.o or BitBucket), updating
it is a matter of a pull/merge/push.  If we port it to Git, updating
will become less straightforward, but probably still doable.  Getting
rid of our branch means reviewing and porting upstream our changes,
then wait for the next official Roundup release and use that.  Note
that some of the upcoming changes we are working on while integrating
b.p.o with GitHub also affect Roundup, so they will make our branch
diverge further.

The instances (b.p.o, the meta-tracker, and the others) could
technically be converted to Git, but I would rather keep them together
with our Roundup clone.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

[0]: https://hg.python.org/tracker/roundup/
[1]: http://hg.code.sf.net/p/roundup/code
[2]: more on the differences in this thread:
https://sourceforge.net/p/roundup/mailman/message/30752855/