[Conferences] SouthernPy or PyTennessee

Vicky Lee - Python Ireland whykay at python.ie
Mon Nov 19 10:11:05 CET 2012

Hi Jason,

My suggestion is to form a committee and get a bank account sorted to
handle any Python-related stuff for your user group and that includes the
conference.

Scout venues and get quotes. If you can get catering in, it's much cheaper
than the lock in from hotels. Estimate how many people may come and get a
sponsorship brochure together. Contact local companies as well as the big
companies for sponsorship and prizes (latter optional). We initially used a
one of the committee member's merchant account for our first conference,
but switched to EventBrite. Since you are based in US, you have more
alternatives than us, so try out different services.

Also you can apply to PSF for funding as well.

The big thing is to have a couple of people you can rely on and not end up
running it yourself.

Good luck.

Cheers,

/// Vicky