[Conferences-discuss] Re: [PSF-Members] Python11 at OSCON2003

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 14:19:16 -0700

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:18:56PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I've been approached by Gina Blaber of O'Reilly about having the next
> Python conference at OSCON next year.  I'm all for it, and the PSF
> board agrees.  I thought I'd give you all one more chance to discuss
> the pros and cons -- but basically, unless someone brings up a major
> problem, I'm going to tell her "yes, let's have Python11 at OSCON
> 2003, please."

I think holding it at OSCON, in a formal fashion, would be a Good Thing. It
provides a measure of "critical mass" for the conference.

However, we should ensure that the PSF has a way to receive proceeds from
the conference. If we are simply a draw for OSCON, but with no potential
benefit, then I would fail to see why we should participate. (specifically:
lend the "PSF name" to this)

I'll note that the Apache Software Foundation has made on the order of $100k
over the past two/three years from its conferences. In fact, we had a
notable lack of income last year when our conference organizer folded, and
we had to cancel the Con.

While the ASF arguably has a larger and broader interest base than the PSF,
I don't see a specific reason why a PSF conference could not generate
proceeds for us.

Cheers,
-g

--