[Conferences-discuss] Python 4 - my first and favorite

Jeff Kunce jeff@corrt.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:03:51 -0600

This could have gone in with the "crackle" posts, but I just
wanted to start the second thread on a new list :)

I was really excited when Robin F told me about the PSF discussion,
and the possibility of a "two" conference system.

I'm not suggesting that Python 4 should be the model for the
small/cheap conference, but it had some features that really
worked for me:

- Held at a location with a large variety of hotels, restaurants,
pubs, etc. in walking distance. Everyone was free to pick their
own price and comfort level. I really hate those luxury prison-camp
hotels where there are no other options in sight. While college dorm
lodging would work for me, some campuses might be just as isolated
and option-less as a luxury conference hotel.

- Venue was free! FedUnixWorld(?) donated a room at the DC Convention
Center, just to expand their offerings (I guess). Maybe we won't get
that lucky again, but cheap is doable. I submit that Python techies
will come to talk python, even in the absence of crystal chandeliers.

- Fly into National, hop on the metro, jump off at the hotel. Stay an
extra day and ride to the Smithsonian. Works for me.

- It was called "Python Workshop" instead of "Python Conference". Maybe this
stupidity is particular to my bean counters, but I can pay for a "Workshop"
out of professional development funds, which are easy to get. A "Conference",
I guess, is considered a junket, and the dollars are much harder to find.

In short, keep it cheap and accessible, let the attendees have options, focus
on new ideas, practical applications, and future plans. I'll see you there!

  --Jeff