[Conferences-discuss] Crackle, crackle, "hello"...

Robin Friedrich robinf1@pdq.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:07:09 -0600

Steve got this list kicked off (yes you were first) so let me follow up with
some of my own thoughts on Python conferences. I agree with the main train of
thought expressed so far in this thread. O'Reilly's offer of using OSCON as
the "big production value" Python conference is fine with me.  It'll be
expensive to attend but, because of O'Reilly's diverse topics (and marketing)
it's more likely that an employee can find a justification for the expense.
It's a great venue to have Python strut it's stuff and impress folks that
would not have considered Python otherwise. A Python-only conference by its
nature is much more specialized and makes it less likely for an employee to
find direct, justifiable need to attend.

The idea of a separate YAPC-style conference for Python is also great.
Calling it a "workshop" rather than a "conference" actually makes a difference
to many employers though. A workshop can be booked under employee development
while a conference cannot. So let's call it the Python Workshop and have it
focus on futures and works in progress rather than an academic paper medium.
The time and effort that must be allotted to judging papers can be a major
drag. Let's solicit presentations/demos rather than papers. I can see
developers day expanded to three days. Include long talks, short talks, PEP
review, futures, and tutorials, (not basic ones though). Have no more than two
tracks; web and general purpose.  I foresee the workshop (especially if it has
a small price tag) being very popular so we better have a venue that can
handle 500 people. Locating it near Zopeland increases the number of Python
Labs people that can attend, and since OSCON will always be west coast as far
as I can tell that balances the geography as well.

Obviously there will be some diffusion of attendance because it's unlikely
many people will attend both events but the point is to serve AND expand the
Python community. Python 10 did nothing to expand the community while this new
plan has a much better chance of doing that.
Anyway that's the $0.02 from someone who has attended and enjoyed every Python
conference/workshop.

-Robin Friedrich