[code-quality] Pylint reports, is anyone using them?

Mike Müller mmueller at python-academy.de
Mon Aug 24 09:15:06 CEST 2015

Am 19.08.15 um 03:35 schrieb Skip Montanaro:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Claudiu Popa <pcmanticore at gmail.com
> <mailto:pcmanticore at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     For pylint users, what do you think about the removal of these
>     reports from pylint? Would it cause problems for you?
>     Are these reports in any sense useful for you?
>

> No problem removing them.
> Not really useful in my experience, except very rarely as a relative indicator
> of the direction things are moving.
>
> As a corollary, I will note that some users where I work seemed mesmerized by
> high scores (10/10, etc) and relied on them, not being aware that pylint wasn't
> some all-seeing-all-knowing Python code genie. I tried to disabuse them of that
> notion. I think it would be better to remove them and make people (especially
> Python newbies) focus on individual messages.

As a Python trainer, I do have contact with many Python beginners.
I use pylint in all of my introductory and many of my more advanced courses.
Based on feedback from these users, I would suggest:

1. Make all these long-winded metrics and other reports optional,
   i.e. not default.
2. Keep the score.

The score makes it a bit like a game. People really have fun with it.
I think for the most part this is a good thing. Of course, there are always
a few people who put too much emphasis on the score. But I think the advantages
of the score are much bigger the disadvantages.

Mike