[Chicago] ChiPy Spring Mentorship Program!

Ray Berg raymondwberg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:23:33 EST 2017

Happy Holidays Folks!

As we go into some final celebrations and enjoy the last bits of holiday
giving-ness...it's not too late to give your friends and family the most
Pythonic gift of all: Tell them about the ChiPy Mentorship Program!

https://chipymentor.org/

Hopefully, you've noticed how awesome this program has been for ChiPy and
the Chicago Tech Community. Patrick Boland and I love this program with all
our hearts, and we want it to flourish. But to keep it up, *we need Mentors
and Mentees for our Spring session*. Forward this email to a couple people
you think would do great as a Mentor or Mentee. We'll explain for them what
we need:

  *Mentee*: You're anyone who wants to learn more Python than what you
know. You've done at least some Python work (at least you have finished the
CodeAcademy Python Course), and are looking for more help. Maybe you are
new to programming or struggling with basic concepts (loops, conditionals,
classes, building your first project). You could be a budding Web Developer
that doesn't understand anything or as much as you'd like about building
websites. Or you could be looking to become a better data analyst/scientist
either coming from R or hoping to improve your chops. Really anything! If
you've got the drive, we'll help you get where you're going.

  *Mentor*: See the above? If you could help a beginner get to building
classes or doing an API call, you could be a mentor. If you have another
skill set in Data Science or Web Development you could help someone orient
themselves in this new environment. Rarely does a good mentor have all the
answers, but they know enough about the landscape to show folks where
resources are or to talk out problems with good principles and a bit of
patience. You'll learn a lot in the process! It's winds up being one
meeting a week plus 4 events over the year, and all on your schedule.

If you are or know of a good person to become a Mentor or a Mentee, have
them check out our application portal at https://chipymentor.org/portal. *We
are taking applications until January 14th at 11:59PM. *

All of the information on the Spring Term is available on the
https://chipymentor.org site! Get answers to questions you might have about
the program. Drop us a note on the site if you still have a question.

This offering is again supported by our Featured Sponsor: *Twilio*. They've
been an *awesome partner* to provide giveaways like T-Shirts, Raspberry Pis
and paying for Pizza at our events. We love the folks at Twilio (and their
great SMS/Voice APIs twilio.com) and appreciate their support for our
program. We hope you'll join them in supporting our awesome program this
spring. Become a Mentor or Mentee!!

Respectfully,
Ray Berg