[Chicago] A mini-tutorial on deploying smart contracts

Adam Yala adamkyala at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 13:54:47 EST 2017

I first began learning about smart contracts ~2 months ago. At that time I
made the first version of this python tutorial. 2 months ago the python
tooling for solc (the solidity compiler python module) and web3py (the web3
python module) were awful compared to the javascript ones. I was actually
really disappointed in how bad they were.

In the two months that passed the python tools underwent huge changes and
now I'd put them on par with the javascript tools. I'm completely blown
away. I credit a lot of the speed to the folks at GitCoin
<https://gitcoin.co/>. They create bots that put ethereum bounties on repo
issues. They rely heavily on we3py so they encourage development on it and
it shows. If anyone is looking to contribute to web3py and make a buck in
the process the issues on the repo are sometimes given bounties of hundreds
of dollars worth of ether.

Python is going to be a great place to be for smart contract development!