[Chicago] Digital Ocean, pip, and UFW on Ubuntu

Aaron Elmquist elmq0022 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 21 18:11:51 EST 2016

Good points Carl.  I get your drift.

My server is for learning and should be low visibility.  I won't keep
sensitive information on it either.  Provided I backup everything, losing
the server is just inconvenient.

I will move on to learning Flask and table additional admin stuff until I
need it.

Thanks for the sound advice!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com>
wrote:

> Deployment and Security are very ... interesting topics.
>
> There are tradeoffs.   Here are some questions that only you can answer
> and will drive how you do things.
>
> How much time/effort/resources do you want to put into this?
> What is the cost of failure?
> What do you consider fun?
> What do you consider an investment in your future?
>
> Do you want to spent your time learning about security or more Python?
>

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Aaron Elmquist <elmq0022 at umn.edu> wrote:
>
>> Okay
>>
>> sudo ufw allow 53
>> sudo ufw allow in 53
>>
>> resolves the DNS issue (the host command still works).
>>
>> sudo ufw allow https
>> sudo ufw allow out https
>>
>> fixes the pip's https connection to pypi,* but is that not secure*?
>> Should I just specify the pypi server directly instead?
>>
>> Again thanks for the replies.  They are very much appreciated.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com>
>> wrote:

>>> -v should show you what it is trying to resolve:
>>>

>>> (test3)carl at twist:~$ pip install requestsx -v
>>> Collecting requestsx
>>>   1 location(s) to search for versions of requestsx:
>>>   * https://pypi.python.org/simple/requestsx/
>>>   Getting page https://pypi.python.org/simple/requestsx/
>>>   Looking up "https://pypi.python.org/simple/requestsx/" in the cache
>>>   No cache entry available
>>>   Starting new HTTPS connection (1): pypi.python.org
>>>
>>> Try using the host command to look it up, see if it errors:
>>>
>>> (test3)carl at twist:~$ host pypi.python.org
>>> pypi.python.org is an alias for prod.python.map.fastly.net.
>>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.64.223
>>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.128.223
>>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.192.223
>>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.0.223