[Chicago] Digital Ocean, pip, and UFW on Ubuntu

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Dec 21 17:40:35 EST 2016

Deployment and Security are very ... interesting topics.

There are tradeoffs.   Here are some questions that only you can answer and
will drive how you do things.

How much time/effort/resources do you want to put into this?
What is the cost of failure?
What do you consider fun?
What do you consider an investment in your future?

Do you want to spent your time learning about security or more Python?

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Aaron Elmquist <elmq0022 at umn.edu> wrote:

> Okay
>
> sudo ufw allow 53
> sudo ufw allow in 53
>
> resolves the DNS issue (the host command still works).
>
> sudo ufw allow https
> sudo ufw allow out https
>
> fixes the pip's https connection to pypi,* but is that not secure*?
> Should I just specify the pypi server directly instead?
>
> Again thanks for the replies.  They are very much appreciated.
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Aaron Elmquist <elmq0022 at umn.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Temporary failure in name resolution
>>

>> -v should show you what it is trying to resolve:
>>

>> (test3)carl at twist:~$ pip install requestsx -v
>> Collecting requestsx
>>   1 location(s) to search for versions of requestsx:
>>   * https://pypi.python.org/simple/requestsx/
>>   Getting page https://pypi.python.org/simple/requestsx/
>>   Looking up "https://pypi.python.org/simple/requestsx/" in the cache
>>   No cache entry available
>>   Starting new HTTPS connection (1): pypi.python.org
>>
>> Try using the host command to look it up, see if it errors:
>>
>> (test3)carl at twist:~$ host pypi.python.org
>> pypi.python.org is an alias for prod.python.map.fastly.net.
>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.64.223
>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.128.223
>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.192.223
>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has address 151.101.0.223
>> prod.python.map.fastly.net has IPv6 address 2a04:4e42:b::223
>>

>> --
>> Carl K

Carl K